Cytology Working Group
Co-chairs: Barbara Centeno and Michelle Reid
Members: Nirag Jhala, Ming Jin, and Martha Pitman
Grossing Working Group
Co-Chairs: Daniela Allende and Grace E. Kim
Members: Deepti Dhall, Kee-Taek Jang, Jiaqi Shi
Grossing techniques in general:
- Adsay NV, et al. Whipple made simple for surgical pathologists: orientation, dissection, and sampling of pancreaticoduodenectomy specimens for a more practical and accurate evaluation of pancreatic, distal common bile duct, and ampullary tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2014 Apr;38(4):480-93.
- Verbeke C. Resection margins in pancreatic cancer. Pathologe 2013; 34 Supple 2: 241-7.
For the axial technique:
- Verbeke C, Gladhaug IP. Dissection of pancreatic resection specimens. Surgical pathology 2016, 9:523-538.
Tumor size-AJCC8th ed:
- Schlitter A M et al. pT but not pN stage of the 8th TNM classification significantly improves prognostication in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Europ J Cancer 2017; 84: 121-129.
- Saka B et al. Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma is Spread to the Peripancreatic Soft Tissue in the Majority of Resected Cases, Rendering the AJCC T-Stage Protocol (7th Edition) Inapplicable and Insignificant: A Size-Based Staging System (pT1: ≤2, pT2: >2-≤4, pT3: >4 cm) is More Valid and Clinically Relevant. Ann Surg Oncol 2016: 23:2010-18.
R1 margin status:
- Campbell F, et al. Classification of R1 resections for pancreatic cancer: the prognostic relevance of tumour involvement within 1 mm of a resection margin. Histopathology. 2009 Sep;55(3):277-83.
- Verbeke CS, Menon KV. Redefining resection margin status in pancreatic cancer. HPB (Oxford). 2009 Jun;11(4):282-9.
- Douglas J. Hartman, Alyssa M. Krasinskas. Assessing Treatment Effect in Pancreatic Cancer. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012;136:100–1.